Tuesday, August 18, 2009

PSP Getting Some New Things



The PSP and PSPGo! are getting some fantastic new additions this fall. Some are Europe only, most are global. I will talk about both because different people read here so I want them to get their info as well.

The biggest announcement for me was the digital reader coming to the PSP, and it will read books and comics. In addition it will be coming with comics at launch, including the entire Marvel catalog(down the line) and will be launching in the UK and in North America this November. Marvel also thinks that this could be one of the most significant for Marvel, and it will be. I used to be a rabid comic reader and got out of it for awhile and have been wanting to jump back in, not only with new releases but back issues that used to be in my collection. Old comics can be a a pain to track down and with the entire Marvel catalog(and DC I'm sure) I will be massively consuming comics. My wife loves e-reading books now so this will be a big thing for sure, I may have to get her, her own PSP!

There will be new mini games coming to the PSP that are not allowed to exceed 1mb in size, so they have definitely thrown the gauntlet at Apple. It will be a direct competitor to the app store for sure. Though apps weren't specifically mentioned you would be hard pressed to say they won't make an appearance on the store. A new LocoRoco game and Eye of Judgment for the PSP is playable on the floor. Don't know how they are doing EoJ on the PSP, but I don't care because I hated the one on PS3. Fifteen games will be available at launch of the PSPGo!, and 50 will be ready by year end this year. Alien Havoc, Puzzle Scrape, Sparta, Tetris(yay!) were shown so hopefully I can get some video's later.

There will be three new colors for the PSP, Turquoise Green, Pink Blossom, and Lilac Purple. I think these are going to be global and it definitely shows they are trying to capture the tween girl demographic for PSP consumption. Some will be available in bundles, all will be available by themselves.

The last big thing is great for European PSP owners and a great incentive to buy since Gran Turismo has the largest user base in EU. If you purchase and register your PSP product between the 1st and 10th of October, you will get a voucher for Gran Turismo PSP! The whole game for free, that's a great deal that should move loads of PSP's and PSPGo's this fall.

[UPDATE] Pink and Green are Euro only.

No comments:

Post a Comment